NEW PROCEDURE EFFECTIVE DATE: February 20, 2019
The Mahwah Police Department Firearms Identification Unit assists residents with the application, processing, and registration of firearms. The Firearms Identification Unit may be reached at 201-529-2011 or via e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The firearms application process is now electronic. Please follow the below instructions for the Firearms Reporting System.
FARS Application Procedures for Applicants
Step 1: visit this website. You MUST enter the site address as follows:
Step 2: When you log on, you must enter the Mahwah Police Department’s ORI #: NJ0023300
Step 3: Complete the online application. You may complete the application using a smartphone, mobile device, laptop, or desktop computer.
When deciding how many permits you would like to get, remember:
- ONE Permit is required for each handgun you wish to purchase (each permit is $2)
- You can purchase 1 handgun in a 30 day period
- Permits are good for up to 180 days (with renewal after 90 days)
- If you decide you want another handgun permit and you didn’t get more than one initially, you will need to apply again.
Step 4: You will need to submit payment at the Police department for your permits and, if applicable, the Firearms ID card. Permits to Purchase handguns are $2.00 for each permit, and $5.00 for the ID card. Checks made payable to Twp. of Mahwah. NO CASH for permits
*You will be receiving automated email updates throughout this new process.
*Once your application is complete, a station representative will contact you to retrieve your FID card and/or pistol purchase permit documents.
*Please advise your references that the FARS system will email them the reference questions to be answered. Your references can complete the questions using a smartphone, mobile device, laptop, or desktop computer. Please advise them to complete the questions immediately to progress your background investigation.
*The on-line application is applicant driven. Please ensure that you have entered the best phone numbers for yourself and references as well as the best email addresses for yourself and references.
* This new system has been mandated by the Governor's Office to expedite the process and provide accountability for the length of time an application may take to process. Paper applications are still available by Clicking here. Applicants are urged to utilize the electronic FARS system